[Chester LUG] Home NAS device

Tony TF tf+lug at tonyf.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 22:58:54 UTC 2017

Hi Roger
Did you notice that recent DDoS attacks used IP cameras in a botnet! Mainly
those with internals from wholesale supplier XiongMai Technologies. End
products from ZTE, Panasonic, Axis, Toshiba, Samsung and more (UCam not
mentioned). The cameras were hacked using telnet or SSH using default (and
unchangeable) passwords.
Apparently UPnP in a router can also be a security risk.
I only mention this because your statement "unique IP address, which I can
access via password from anywhere on the web" sort of leaves a lot of
unanswered security questions!

Tony

Reference:
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hacked-cameras-dvrs-powered-todays-massive-internet-outage/