[Chester LUG] Red Hat free for developers

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 08:24:58 UTC 2017

I certainly wouldn't recommend using it for any production systems. CentOS
is definitely the way to go for that if you're not willing to hand over
lots of money!

Where this could be useful is for development work. If you're developing
software to be run in the enterprise then the odds are it will be run on
RedHat in a lot of places. So being able to develop / test on the same
distro would really help. Clearly one of RedHat's motives is to encourage
people to target their distro for software. Very much like Microsoft, who
give away copies of Windows Server to students and provide lots of
discounted developer licenses for their OSes.

Les