[Colchester] The Internet - My response to Wayland

Toby Whaymand toby.whaymand at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 14 17:11:16 BST 2008

Hi Wayland

Just to quote you

"So you believe that some sort of control on what sex offenders can do on the Internet is justified? That the average person should have freedoms to do things that a sex offender is banned from doing?"

The problem is the Data Protection Act 1998 which stops ISP's and third parties monitoring and controlling what we do on the Internet.  However there are exceptions to this. For example sex offenders already loose some privately right and high risk sex offender have monitoring devices attached to them so that the police can know were they are 24 hours a day. They may even lose there right to travel aboard.

Clearing the average law binding day-to-day person does not lose such freedoms and so having web controlling software for sex offenders is only limiting that person's digital rights in the same way that the law limits there freedom in the real world, the analogue world.

The above is only my view and I know I am very liberal in my way of thinking.. I am too much of a Labour fan