[Colchester] Compuserve and the Internet

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 19:08:36 BST 2008

Toby Whaymand wrote:
> Hi Wayland (again)
>
> I never knew that Compuserve went back into the 1980's!
>
> To be honest I have had the same concerns people are know longer using the internet to learn and discover new things and see new sight, which make the internet so amazing...
>
> Sadly instead people are just going on-line to go to websites like Facebook, MySpace and then simply logging  off.
>
> The internet use to be a vibrant place to learn, a place of discovery, which it still is but sadly it is losing out because people are limiting themselves to social networking sites....
>
> I also think it sad that great website like Active World limit themselves to the Windows Operating System.  Active World one of the jewels of free software only runs on Windows - that is just ironic...

Toby,

I think the Internet has been a bit diluted. First we have a massive
choice of where to chat and blog and read news and opinions. Secondly we
now have more of the TV watching public who use the Internet a bit like
TV. All these social networking sites are at least interactive. These
people are using the net in a way that I do not. I look over a friends
shoulder and he has all these 'hot babes' on is MyFaceYourArseSpaceBook
that he talks to and they get their tits out on the webcam. And he's got
their real names and mobile numbers!

I mean that does beat IRC you've got to admit.

Wayland.