[Colchester] 2021 is the year of the Linux desktop

James Pain jamesepain at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:36:03 UTC 2021

I love these xxxx is the year of the linux desktop threads. This is a great
conversation to have and recap where we've gotten to.

It depends on the user. For 90% of computer users, I'm not convinced linux
is the right choice yet. It still requires technical knowledge and
tinkering despite the best efforts of some distros. This is based on my
last distro-hopping session about 2 years ago. I'm overdue for another. I
think Mint and Manjaro have come a long way and their first-use user
experience is great, but they don't have the maturity of a distro like
OpenSuse or Ubuntu. MX Linux is a new addition to the scene but had trouble
running it on a VM to try it out.

For my use case, if I have one of my mega-privacy conscious moments and
want to try and disconnect from 'The Man' as much as possible (which I go
through every couple years) I'd absolutely switch out Win 10 for a linux
distro. However I won't be recommending it as a desktop OS for normal users
anytime soon though.

I'm overdue for a distro hop session. I might start a new thread on this
maillist when I do.

James Pain