[Colchester] 2021 is the year of the Linux desktop

Wayland Sothcott wayland at sothcott.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 11:27:43 UTC 2021

I do think you are overdue to try Mint again. When you say technical
knowledge and tinkering I'm trying to think of what tinkering I do.
There is far more tinkering to get Windows set up right than there is in
Linux. However there is a bit of tinkering to get WINE to run
seamlessly, but that almost counts as Windows. Clearly WINE could be
tinker free, look at PROTON in Steam.

One of the things people are familiar with in Windows is downloading a
file from a website and installing. This is perhaps not the most
intuitive thing since Microsoft have tried to move people to the app
store (which is like a Linux repository). However plenty of websites now
detect you're on Linux and give you the Linux version of the download
and install experience. This always seems to work with Mint. For example
if you go to Valve's SteamPowered website it gives you the Linux install
button.

The other area people seem to think does not work well in Linux is
peripherals and hardware. It is worth checking if Linux is mentioned
before buying hardware but mostly it's plug and play anyway. I bought an
HD webcam and plugged it in and started Zoom and it worked with no
tinkering. This is normal rather than the exception.

Same with graphics cards, they all seem to work from the oldest to the
newest. No need to fetch drivers although if you want to mine with a
VEGA you might want to install the appropriate driver from AMD. Vulkan
is cross platform and is making many games cross platform. Not only that
but it's higher performance than Microsoft's DX12.

The technical skills thing is moot since your average user's Windows
skills are no better than their Linux skills. It can be argued that no
technical skills are needed to use Linux where as they are needed to use
Windows these days. What is a user supposed to do when facing a blue
screen reboot and windows repair? This will happen most times a Windows
machine crashes or is powered off incorrectly and often results in a
system so broken only a techie can get it back. This is since Windows
10. There does not seem to be such a problem on Linux.

We really have had the crossing of two paths. Linux has got so much
better and Windows has got so much worse. For a person who can't fix
their own computer, Linux is the better choice.

25 years since I first used Linux on the desktop and it's now the winner.