[Deaf-lug] Linux Virgin

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:28:28 GMT 2007

On 08/02/07, andrew arthur <andrew.arthur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep, that's me. I have been meaning to get more involved with Linux for some
> years but my early attempts at installing it went badly wrong and I lost
> interest.
>  I am now installing Linux on my spare machine, an Athlon 1Gb job running in
> an Asrock K7NF2 board with an AGP graphics card and it also has a built in
> network and sound card.
>  I have tried Ubuntu but it will not load. I don't know enough about it to
> figure out why but the support forum mentions a bug that affects some
> machines. ie. me.>
> Now loading Debian 3.1. First I got the minimal CD and tried that but it
> will not detect the onboard network card so it can't download from the
> Internet. Again I don't know enough to fix it so now I am downloading the
> full Debian CD set and burning CD's from them. I am up to CD4 at the moment
> so I will try and install the Desktop and get something started.
>
> Comments most welcome. Take me away from all this!

Andy ,

I am surprised that Ubunto did not work for you how long ago did that happen?
Debian is not easy to install but I find that the easiest  is
(providing that you still have windows on the spare machine)
http://goodbye-microsoft.com
Make sure you back up if you want to keep windows partition (don't say
I didn't warn you)

screen shots here eplains its all very quickly
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/screenshots
Did this 2 days ago as I came across a machine with no floppy or cd rom drive.
It was the easiest install in all the years I have been onstalling distro's
That was designed for people who don't know how to burn a distro on cd
but it is usefull for people who have no cd or floppies :-)

How ever failing that why not bring the machine to a local lug and get
them to show you

Fintan