[Deaf-lug] Linux types?

Fintan Gaughan fgaughan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:30:20 GMT 2007

On 12/02/07, Thomas Mulloy <eiresorpio at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Glad to hear some linux types are finally up and running on your systems!
>
> I have only tried Knoppix, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried several
> types of linux and which one is the most user friendly and comes with plenty
> of features. Also whether they are a live CD or not?
>
> Cheers,

These are my opinions alone and the distros below are the ones I have
installed on different pc's over the years

Newbie friendly
Mandriver   http://www.mandriva.com/en
Fedora   http://fedora.redhat.com/
Ubunto   http://www.ubuntu.com/   + kbuntu   http://www.kubuntu.org/
BeatrIX    http://www.watsky.net/
 Linspire     http://www.linspire.com/

Few others that I can't think of but I tend to tell people go for
Ubunto as you get loads of help in their forums

Not easy to install unless you know what your doing are
Debian  http://www.debian.org/
Slackware  http://www.slackware.com/

I have installed these distros below on old Pentium II machines
without any problems
Are betrix http://www.watsky.net/ and puppy linux
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
As well as Debian http://www.debian.org/ Debian installs on any
machine but not easy to do

How ever installing Debian got so much easier if you follow this route
but trouble is they install software that overwhelm newbie's   screen
shot here http://goodbye-microsoft.com/screenshots/ installer here
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

I use mainly fedora because of the 6 month release cycle and  BSD
which is another OS in its self

Take a look at this site to see so many distro's http://distrowatch.com/

I have not installed a Distro using Live CD although I use Knoppix a
few times a month (rescue files from a windows pc) but never installed
it

Regards,
Fintan