[Deaf-lug] Linux types?

andrew arthur andrew.arthur at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:50:28 GMT 2007

This is coming to you via Debian and Epiphany. I loaded it from the
goodbye-microsoft address you gave us and have just finished configuring it.
It has been a very easy install for what is reckoned to be the hardest Linux
to install, but truly it was a doddle.
 It took 2h 40 m to download all the files it needed but after that it set
up faultlessly and I have been playing with it ever since.

I am also dual booting Windows and of course it initialises thropugh Windows
so as I hoped, it has picked up all the drivers and it is fully functional.
All I had to do was give it the Network information and away it went.

 Hth

On 12/02/07, Fintan Gaughan <fgaughan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/02/07, Thomas Mulloy <eiresorpio at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Glad to hear some linux types are finally up and running on your
> systems!
> >
> > I have only tried Knoppix, so I'm wondering if any of you have tried
> several
> > types of linux and which one is the most user friendly and comes with
> plenty
> > of features. Also whether they are a live CD or not?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> These are my opinions alone and the distros below are the ones I have
> installed on different pc's over the years
>
> Newbie friendly
> Mandriver   http://www.mandriva.com/en
> Fedora   http://fedora.redhat.com/
> Ubunto   http://www.ubuntu.com/   + kbuntu   http://www.kubuntu.org/
> BeatrIX    http://www.watsky.net/
> Linspire     http://www.linspire.com/
>
> Few others that I can't think of but I tend to tell people go for
> Ubunto as you get loads of help in their forums
>

> Not easy to install unless you know what your doing are
> Debian  http://www.debian.org/
> Slackware  http://www.slackware.com/
>
> I have installed these distros below on old Pentium II machines
> without any problems
> Are betrix http://www.watsky.net/ and puppy linux
> http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1
> As well as Debian http://www.debian.org/ Debian installs on any
> machine but not easy to do
>
> How ever installing Debian got so much easier if you follow this route
> but trouble is they install software that overwhelm newbie's   screen
> shot here http://goodbye-microsoft.com/screenshots/ installer here
> http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
>

> I use mainly fedora because of the 6 month release cycle and  BSD
> which is another OS in its self
>
> Take a look at this site to see so many distro's http://distrowatch.com/
>
> I have not installed a Distro using Live CD although I use Knoppix a
> few times a month (rescue files from a windows pc) but never installed
> it
>
> Regards,
> Fintan

Andy