[Deaf-lug] Haiku

Wed Feb 13 13:13:25 GMT 2008

I wonder if any of you heard of BeOS?

This was what started me on the Linux actually even though it's not
Linux. BeOS is now a dead OS, that *might* had been the replacement for
OS9, but they went with NeXT instead along with Steve Jobs.

However when I used it, I always loved the fast speed of it. Anyway a
new project to bring back to life BeOS is called Haiku which is
programmed from grounds up to be as similar as possible to BeOS (ie
booting up in seconds (and I mean that...seconds - BeOS is FAST).

They do have VMWare images so that you can try it out in VMWare Player
(free) and the boot up time in VMWare player is screamingly fast - took
less than 3 seconds in my case.

Was thinking that if this is fast it would make for an ideal replacement
OS for an EEEpc if I get one - since for an EEEpc I would only want
internet and email access and basic office suite (ie Abiword would be
ideal)