[Deaf-lug] old laptop debian installed

Mon Mar 31 13:06:20 BST 2008

Try Ubuntu...

I might sound biased since I use Ubuntu...but in my experience, it's one
of the best when it comes to wireless support...for example I've got a
Sony VAIO LPC1 (not sure of exact model) with a Netgear PCI wireless.
PLUS the computer itself have some unique hardware that does make it
tricky for Linux to work on it.

The desktop itself take a plug. It comes with its own LCD screen, which
have a single cable that plug into the desktop - This single cable
carries the video, power, PS/1 keyboard, USB all in one. This often
means the keyboard would not work. Oh and the desktop does come with a
PCIMIA slot - unusual.

I've tried the following distro's with the aim of finding out what
"works out of the box, no configuration"

* Debian 4.0 (Etch) - keyboard does not work
* Zenwalk 4.8 - No wireless
* Knoppiz 5.1.1 - Just doesn't start at all
* Fedora 8 Live - No wireless, keyboard flaky (it works depending on the
position of moon and stars and the latest star charts)
* PCLinux OS 2007 (SAM variant - this is with XFCE desktop) - No
wireless, I need to download a firmware to work...but with no wireless I
cannot do this
* Mandriva One 2008 - no wireless
* OpenSUSE 10.3 - no wireless
* Ubuntu 7.10 - wireless works, keyboard works only if I use an older kernel
* Xubuntu Hardy Beta - everything works out of box including wireless
(same as for 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon)

As for all that distro's I didn't download them...it was on the cover of
Linux Format magazine - Distro MegaPack with 10 distro's on 1 DVD except
  Xubuntu 8.05 which I downloaded - I'll suggest you give Xubuntu a try
- it comes with a XFCE desktop so more suitable for your older laptop
(how much memory does it have?)

The NetGear PCI wireless card I use only support WEP though so there's
no WPA2 on my network :(

To download Xubuntu - go to
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/hardy/beta/