[Deaf-lug] old laptop debian installed

Mon Mar 31 15:22:05 BST 2008

According to that page it comes with Dell 1470 Internal Wireless
802.11a/b/g but as you said, it might not match.

If it comes with a Centrio sticker then it means the wireless is Intel.
If not then it's not Intel wireless.

There is a Device Manager in if memory serves me right in either System
 > Administration OR in System Tools which show a list of all hardware
on your laptop.

You could search for the network model in there.

However I'll want a quicker way of getting the items so I'll ask you to
do this for me:

Go to Programs > Accessories > Terminal

In Terminal can you type this:

sudo lshw -C network

It will ask you to enter your password - do this and then copy'n'paste
the result in an email? (NB - Don't use Ctrl-C in terminal - use the
mouse instead (it's Ctrl-Shift-C to copy in a terminal)

That command will list all the network devices on your laptop.