[Deaf-lug] HELP. Can't Login any more

Sat Jan 17 20:57:17 UTC 2009

Most simple solution although yes this involve command line...but there's no
farfing around with live CD's or copying files etc.

When you first boot, you get a Grub menu - where you are provided with a
list of operating system to boot from (such as Ubuntu, Windows if dual
booting) - you might need to press Esc to see this.

You are then provided with a list of kernel version, with the most recent at
top.

There are also entries for root mode as well - this boot up a basic linux
system for you, without starting X (the GUI bits) and also auto log you in
as a root user in command line mode.

Now since you are a root user this give you all the power including the
ability to change your user password.

To change password of your usual username just enter:

passwd [username]

And then type

exit

and it'll boot up into GUI as normal (above is based on Ubuntu so ymmv)

(now you might think this sound rather insecure, giving root access at boot
up - well not really...for servers, they tend to be locked away, so there's
no way to get access...if they do, well they pretty much have access to the
disk already. - and that's where encyption comes in so useful, especially
for laptops! - Next version of Ubuntu aim to have fully encrypted /home as
an option. Current version is either full disk encryption or a encrypted
~/Private directory in your /home).