[dundee] What would you recommend?

Jonathan Barber dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 16:15:00 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:02:03PM +0000, Wm. G. Urquhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got some Dual Processor Dell Kit that I want to use as a Primary
> Domain Controller for a Windows Domain. That will of course support Samba
> and OpenLDAP and OpenSLL for Authentication and Profiles etc.

For the Samba stuff I'd use Debian, as it'll come with a minimum of
stuff in the default and maintainance is a lot easier than
Redhat/SuSE/Mandrake IMHO. I would say OpenBSD but it doesn't do SMP.

> I also have a Sun Shoe Box containing 6 x 9.1Gb Disks that I want to use
> as Data Stores for PDFs, MP3s etc. I know under Linux RH 7.3 (Valhalla) it
> all works well, as I've built one before. But I'm thinking it's time for
> change this time.

It really depends what's going to share the data with the box and what
kind of performance you're looking at. Recently we've had some nasty
experiences with the Linux NFS stack over VLANs, so I might be tempeted
to use a BSD instead, which means NetBSD if you're not on x86
archtectures. But you should probably benchmark whatever it is your
going to use before rolling it out.

Just my 2p
--
Jon