[dundee] Redhat v Mandrake

Jonathan Riddell dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 22:29:00 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 02:16:15PM +0100, Mordak5 wrote:
> I liked Mandrake 8.2 but the display was not as good as it should have been.
> having said that I did get it talk to my win xp box no problem and access
> the win printer so I will look at mandrake 9.1 when it comes. Redhat 7.2
> display is better than the mandrake 8.2 one tho.

If you mean X configuration then it's a black art and some times it
will work well and sometimes less well.  Some distributions work
better for some people but others better for others.  Although I've
never found a computer that Knoppix hasn't set up perfectly first
time.

> > Put redhat 7,2 on it better than Mandarake 8.2, I have a copy of Mandrake
> > 9.1 coming so will see which is better. Anyone got any fav distro's and if
> > so why?

Red Hat restricts your updates.  Mandrake's urpm is nice and doesn't
so I'd prefer that.  I find SuSE to be very user friendly but it's not
quite Free and the lack of a command line tool to install software is
a pain.  And Debian is excellent so long as you have some idea of what
you're doing.

Jonathan