[dundee] interesting problem with new mandrake box

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 14:54:25 GMT 2003

Having just set up a new mandrake 9.1 box running my 17" apple
flatscreen from an nvidia based card, I have found myself faced with a
dilemma. The controls on the display do not work to turn off the
display but I can turn it off using "xset dpms force off". If I do this
then I can't lock the workstation because any input wakes the screen.
If I lock the box then I cannot turn the screen off. Anybody have any
ideas on how to go about this?

Simon