[dundee] SOHO networking question

Fionnbar Lenihan fionnbar at cix.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 16:08:54 BST 2003

Thanks for the quick response Andrew.

IP masquerade - that sounds pretty complex!

I thought that there might be some obvious way of referencing machines
that could be then translated into the current IP address, perhaps using
hostnames.

Could the SAMBA server and clients query the router for the current IP
of machines on the network?

Apologies for sounding like a wimp but would it be simpler to just turn
off DHCP on the router and manually assign every machine a local IP both
on the client and (I guess) on the router?

Then I could tell SAMBA clients and servers where to look for one
another knowing that the IP wasn't going to change.

You are quite right about my not wanting to access my SAMBA shares from
outside the network.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.  I'm not ungrateful for your
detailed answer - just alarmed!

Fionnbar