[dundee] SOHO networking question

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon Oct 20 16:17:14 BST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 16:08, Fionnbar Lenihan wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response Andrew.
>
> IP masquerade - that sounds pretty complex!

hmm.. it's IP aliasing actually ;) dead simple...

> I thought that there might be some obvious way of referencing machines
> that could be then translated into the current IP address, perhaps using
> hostnames.

hostnames would still need to be resolved to IP's...

> Could the SAMBA server and clients query the router for the current IP
> of machines on the network?

perhaps using some form of reverse arp...

> Apologies for sounding like a wimp but would it be simpler to just turn
> off DHCP on the router and manually assign every machine a local IP both
> on the client and (I guess) on the router?

That would work... but the IP aliasing is really just as simple. Those
ifconfig commands are really all there is to it :) (Assuming your
running a 2.4 kernel (or perhaps a vendor 2.2) and windows has similar
functionality).

You could then set hostnames for those ip's in /etc/hosts and the
windows equivalent....

> Then I could tell SAMBA clients and servers where to look for one
> another knowing that the IP wasn't going to change.
>
> You are quite right about my not wanting to access my SAMBA shares from
> outside the network.
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to answer.  I'm not ungrateful for your
> detailed answer - just alarmed!

lol.. perhaps it looks more complex than it really is ;)

--
Andrew