[dundee] Smashy and Nicey

Rob Sharp dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 12:13:01 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:09:50 +0100, "Colin Brough"
<Colin.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk> said:
> > 2) Do some charity work.  There are a lot of small charities in the
> > Dundee area that require IT support/networking, web space, web design,
> > desktops setting up etc.  Personally I like this idea.  I think that
> > this could open up a lot of possible talks, eg Setting up Samba to act
> > as a PDC, network topology, authentication techniques, privacy,
> > firewalling, generally security.  GNU/Linux and the desktop etc.
>
> Backup would also be useful/often not done in small charity places!
>
> (what is PDC?)
PDC = Primary Domain Controller - In NT/2000 terms this is the box that
handles user authentication, amongst other things. Samba provides PDC
services so you can run an NT domain (domain = security boundary - users,
computers, printers) on various flavours of unix.

> > Why would anyone want to do it, well it makes you feel nice and warm
> > inside ;) (Or for those of you with a heart of stone, it looks good on
> > CV's etc. and gives you a chance to put things into practise that you
> > wouldn't normally do)
> >
> > So this email is to judge what other TLUG list members think of idea
> > number 2.  Are you willing to donate some of your time to help out some
> > of the smaller charities, and at the same time meet new people and learn
> > new skills?
> >
> > If you like the idea let the list know and we can try and work something
> > out for those interested.
>
> I think this is a really good idea, for the reasons above. The Dundee
> Voluntary sector have a website at:
>
> 	http://www.d-v-a.org.uk/
>
> and there is a regular mailing (I get it 'cos I'm a minister). I don't
> know whether it would be better to go with personal contacts, or
> whether a chat with the folk at DVA would be a better way to go. DVA's
> next newsletter deadlines are 15th September and 17th November.
I emailed these chaps a while back, using their webform, offering my
services for web development and such. They never got back to me. Must've
seen my work ;-)