[dundee] Smashy and Nicey

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 15:41:00 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 11:09, Colin Brough wrote:

[snip]

> Random thoughts: Smaller places (one/two PC) are probably interested
> in cheap desktop solutions, making use of ancient hardware. Medium
> sized places are more likely candidates for the backup/networking/
> Samba/firewall type stuff. Quite a few of the community centres have
> IT labs, and do basic computer literacy courses - but they'll get
> infrastructure support from the Council, and it would be hard for them
> to move to non-supported software.

Yeah... M$ support is notorious for being a real PITA, if even existent.
Personally I've never had the pleasure... :)

Shouldn't be too hard to sell them on FLOSS. (Free/Libre and Open Source
Software)

	No software licences.
	No vendor lock in.
	No endless (forced) software/hardware upgrade cycles.
	No holding your data to ransom.
	24/7 support from any number of channels.
	Quick turn around on security fix's.
	No outlook/windows virus/worms nightmares.
 	Gives you back your freedom and choice.

In this day and age there really is no excuse...

--
Andrew