[dundee] ADSL set up advice.

Andrew Clayton dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 20:01:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 19:30, Keir Lawson wrote:
> > Maybe this is a silly question, but why couldn't you just move the
> > adsl/modem to which ever pc needs it at the time?
>
> no, my mum would get really annoyed.  from what you said a wireless
> thing seems feasible... but i have no idea of the cost or how on earth
> to set stuff up.

An ASDL mdoem is fairly self contained. You have a cable which plugs
into the telephone socket via a microfilter/spliter, you'd have one of
these on all your phone sockets (well ones where you are connecting any
to) anyways.  Then either an USB or Ethernet (preferred) cable
connecting to the pc or switch or whatever and of course power supply.

My ASDL modem/router isn't much bigger than my analogue modem.

As for wireless costs, off the top of my head, about £100 for the AP and
$50-60 for wifi cards.

Others should be able to give better details.. ;)

--
Andrew