[dundee] ADSL set up advice.

Paul Lancaster dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Sat Sep 20 01:49:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Clayton" <andrew@digital-domain.net>
To: <dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: [dundee] ADSL set up advice.

> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 19:30, Keir Lawson wrote:
> > > Maybe this is a silly question, but why couldn't you just move the
> > > adsl/modem to which ever pc needs it at the time?
> >
> > no, my mum would get really annoyed.  from what you said a wireless
> > thing seems feasible... but i have no idea of the cost or how on earth
> > to set stuff up.
> >

> An ASDL mdoem is fairly self contained. You have a cable which plugs
> into the telephone socket via a microfilter/spliter, you'd have one of
> these on all your phone sockets (well ones where you are connecting any
> to) anyways.  Then either an USB or Ethernet (preferred) cable
> connecting to the pc or switch or whatever and of course power supply.
>
> My ASDL modem/router isn't much bigger than my analogue modem.
>

> As for wireless costs, off the top of my head, about £100 for the AP and
> $50-60 for wifi cards.

Dabs do PCI cards from approx £40 to £50 and bigpockets.co.uk do a wireless
access point for £72, but  I dont know how compatible with linux they are.

You could however get a PCI / PCICMA adaptor card for each computer - approx
£20 each and share a PC card wireless adaptor between them, theres also usb
adaptors but  Ive only seen windows based drivers quoted.

> Others should be able to give better details.. ;)
>

> > keir
> >

> --
> Andrew

Paul