[dundee] Telewest Broadband 512Kb

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Fri Jan 16 18:00:32 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 17:52, Mark Harrigan wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 05:04:06PM +0000, Andrew Clayton wrote:

[snip]

> > I'd agree with Tom here, get proper ADSL if you can.
>
> Sorry, I find that quite amusing. "Proper" ADSL until relatively
> recently was seen as the poor cousin of cable modem because a number of
> compromises that BT made to make the install as simple and cheap as
> possible for their wholesale business.
>
> They should be looked on as pretty much evenly matched unless upload is

Incorrect (in this country at least), the way cable works here is quite
different to ADSL.

The contentions are different and the way the traffic flows is
different. IIRC everybody on the same bit of cable sees everyone elses
traffic (a bit like a LAN, but in an uncontrolled environment) which
isn't ideal.

IMHO, in this country, ADSL is clearly supperior to what the likes of BY
provide.

Plus BY do all kinds of nasty stuff to your traffic.

[snip]

Andrew