[dundee] Meeting on Monday 5th September

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 16:45:06 BST 2005

Are folk up for a meeting next Monday the 5th of September?

If so, some practicalities!

Venue - Simon, are you around and able to gain access to the lecture
room?

Topic - we've started tossing ideas around on IRC (#tlug on
dundee.lug.org.uk/6667 or irc.blitzed.org/6667). So far a couple I've
had are kicking around:

 - "show and tell" for desktop environments; bring a laptop if you've
   got one and show off your current favourite desktop environment.
   Personally I've never managed to get Gnome to do *anything*, but
   other folk like it, so I must be doing something wrong!! Let's folk
   see how windows are manipulated, configurations customised... and
   ask "how would I do....?" type questions - and possible see the
   answer demonstrated.

 - "show and tell" for Debian apt-whatever config. Its often easier to
   have someone else's actual config file shown to you, and explained,
   than trying to wade through the man pages. I've got a Debian
   install OK on an old machine, but couldn't quickly see how I found
   out what packages were available, how I might keep the box updated
   wrt security and/or newer versions of packages, etc.

Other ideas welcome!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk