[dundee] Meeting on Monday 5th September

Martin Habets habets_martin at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 15:27:45 BST 2005

Hi Colin,

--- Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Are folk up for a meeting next Monday the 5th of September?

Yep, good idea!

> If so, some practicalities!
>
> Venue - Simon, are you around and able to gain access to the lecture
> room?
>
> Topic - we've started tossing ideas around on IRC (#tlug on
> dundee.lug.org.uk/6667 or irc.blitzed.org/6667). So far a couple I've
> had are kicking around:
>
>  - "show and tell" for desktop environments; bring a laptop if you've
>    got one and show off your current favourite desktop environment.
>    Personally I've never managed to get Gnome to do *anything*, but
>    other folk like it, so I must be doing something wrong!! Let's folk
>    see how windows are manipulated, configurations customised... and
>    ask "how would I do....?" type questions - and possible see the
>    answer demonstrated.

Hmm, I don't use a desktop environment. Just a window manager.
Saves me a lot of hassle...

>  - "show and tell" for Debian apt-whatever config. Its often easier to
>    have someone else's actual config file shown to you, and explained,
>    than trying to wade through the man pages. I've got a Debian
>    install OK on an old machine, but couldn't quickly see how I found
>    out what packages were available, how I might keep the box updated
>    wrt security and/or newer versions of packages, etc.

I get confused with all the options on dpkg, apt-file, apt-cache, etc.
So I usually stick to apt-get. Never seen aptitude, but it seems people like it.

> Other ideas welcome!

I never figured out how to use dhcp and avoid having ssh warnings/errors cause the network
addresses change every time.

Martin