[dundee] FSF, GPL V3, and TiVO

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 12:34:21 BST 2007

Hi guys,

Usual random question for “The List” been doing some research on the GPL and
as expected i have been dragged off on to the GPL V3 draft 3 (i think this
is the official title, but what the hay, if you don't tell RMS i won't).

Kinda looking for your guys views on it, what's the view on Novell and M$
patent partnership?  I mean to me as i think Novell did what they could to
protect themselves and in tow their customers if the endless pockets of Sir
Bill of Gates decides enough is enough and they want to take Linux users to
court for patent infringement.  Of course this leads to DRM issue and
TiVo-Isolationism issue as well but this maybe a little too long winded for
“The List” while people are munching on chocy bunnies.

I have been left with this quote and in true mailing list fashion i shall
pass this on; “If what I'm told by the GPL 3.0 advocates is true, then the
world is about to end fairly shortly.”
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/torvalds_gpl_analysis/page2.html

Not too sure if this is truly the case but in fairness it is a sticky
subject.

Hope all is well and tooth ache doesn't visit your door this easter.

Arron