[dundee] Gaim Vs AOL -

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 8 21:51:30 BST 2007

Hi Guys,

just read an interesting story about the IM favourite GAIM.  I was
completely unaware but then again I'm far from being all knowing, but the
GAIM team have been in an on going legal argument with the nice people at
AOHell (oh sorry did i say that out load, i meant AOL).

Apparently when the GAIM team first started out they where called “GTK+ AOL
Instant Messenger”, which i suppose is kinda asking for a legal argument but
then again i don't think they thought that they end up being as popular IM
for it to be that bigger a deal.  Well AOL was non to pleased so they
changed the project name to GAIM which seemed to settle the issue down for
awhile, and then AOL started using the term AIM to describe their IM service
and guess what started again.  Well I'll get to the point now after years of
quite legal wrangling (which was advised by the nice fella's at gaim's legal
team) GAIM will now be known as Pidgin and can be found here
http://pidgin.im/

So the question i'm kinda left asking is a.) why on earth was it so
necessary for the GAIM team to go through this in quiet and b.) is GAIM such
a threat to AOL and their AIM service.  So guys just thought that it would
be of intrest to someone on “The List” as i imagine there is one or two GAIM
users, myself i'm a Kopete fan myself.

Arron