[dundee] Pass me a stick i have an Etch

Lee Turner lvturner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 10:57:15 BST 2007

I use debian for my (virtual) server and used to use it on desktops until
Ubuntu came along.

Debian tends to be very stable but tends to lack the newest 'toys' that I
might want on my desktop, Ubuntu has them, but you see app crashes more
often, and ubuntu can be quite a hog!

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade is always a welcoming sight however ;-)

On 09/04/07, Colin Brough <Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Well i have been scouring the Linux news as usual and it really seems
> that
> > new distro's is the topic of the month this month.  For you Debian
> lovers
> > it has finally arrived Etch is here ?
> > http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20070408.
> >
> > Now to be honest with you i have never used a pure Debian being a little
> > bit of a newbie i have spent most of my Linux adolescence in Buntu,
> which
> > is a Debian love child (i think this best describes it but i am open to
> > better terms) but being the child that it is it stands on the shoulders
> of
> > other people success (but then again we all do that, and chats shown
> > through technological history).
> >
> > One thing i do know about Debian is that they doesn't half seem to be a
> lot
> > of in fighting and what ever you do don't ask a Debian developers about
> > release cycles, i here that a sore one as well.
> >
> > So do we have many Debian users on ?The List??  Just in case i decide to
> > have a play i want to be able to buy a pint for the usual advice.
>
> I'm kind of a Debian user - been a long time Redhat and then Mandrake
> user, but my systems tend to mutate as I install stuff from source...
> then something I want to install depends on libraries newer than I
> have and they are a bit too fundamental to do a source install... and
> I get stuck! That's where I am at the moment - and Mandrake 10.1 no
> longer has maintained urpmi reposotories...
>
> So I'm about to migrate to Debian - but this is my main work desktop,
> and it needs to work reliably, so I do tend to plan carefully the
> upgrades. I've got my old box running Debian unstable, and will move
> the main machine over shortly. Some of the problems I'm having just
> now are exactly down to not knowing the Debian way of finding
> information and configuration details.
>
> Cheers
>
> Colin

<generic witty comment>