[dundee] What's in a name?

Arron Finnon arron.finnon at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 22 09:52:58 BST 2007

Hi Guys,

Not spoken to “The List” for a wee bit but i have been involved in quite an
interesting debate with lets just say for now a very big advocate of the
free software foundation and the GNU project (however I'm sure most will
guess).

I spoke to him with regards to Linux Society at the University and to my
surprise (well not actually but i thought that it would have been later on)
was a comment about the name;

//begin quote

I appreciate the intentions of your organization, but the name you have
chosen for it has the unfortunate effect of denying the GNU Project the
credit for our system. (See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.)

Could you possibly call it the GNU/Linux Society, and give us equal mention?

//end quote

By now I'm sure most of us have guessed who but anyway i digress as usual, i
suppose my question to everyone on “The List” is what do we think about the
term Linux, is it a fair term?

In a wider sense does it deny the GNU project of any credit they are due?
Does the GNU/Linux make it more complicated for newer user's wishing to use
a Unix like system?

As many know I'm a very big advocate/fan of free software and open source
software as well, i think that the free software is an idealogical ground
and that the half way house is open-source for the day to day practical
world.

However i tend to always look at it from the stand point of how do i explain
this to a new person coming to the above mentioned operating system, (and
that in fairness is because for most of it i am) and i find that it's not
that easy to explain what the FREE in free software is about never mind what
GNU is.

He also raised some very interesting points as well so I'll add them and
please feel free to comment them either via “The List” or by email to me, as
i am truly very interested to hear what you guys think;

//begin quote

* Digital restrictions management.  Conspiracies of businesses to
restrict the technology available to the public should be an serious
offense leading to imprisonment.

* Unjust laws such as the EUCD, and its implementations
which are even worse than the EUCD itself.

* Software patents.

* Hardware with secret specifications.

* Bundling of non-free operating systems with computers by stores.

* Use of non-free formats for communication with the public by governments
and by businesses.

* Schools should not teach non-free software -- it is unethical.

// end quote

catch you guys later

Arron