[dundee] Linux Society Web Site

DreamIsDead dreamisdead0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:28:11 BST 2007

Hey,
At the end of last nights meeting a few of us were discussing how entirely
unreadable most linux man pages are and how awkward it can be to figure out
how to use something new to you just from following man pages (since asking
other people would generally just result in being told to RTFM).
I was thinking it could be good to have a collection of plain english man
pages for commonly used commands.  These wouldn't need to include every
option and feature available, just basic information and without paragraphs
of background information and history on whatever you are planning to do.

For example trying to work out how to create a zip archive for the first
time seems pretty complicated just from reading through the man page, and
most users aren't going to need information about operating on certain files
from the archive depending on their date of creation. So giving a small,
clear, amount of information, covering the operations most people will want
to preform on basic, useful commands probably wouldn't involve too much
work.

Anyway, I guess this would probably fit in the wiki that everyone seemed to
approve of last night, I mostly just wanted to put the idea out there to
check whether a well known resource like this exists that I have just failed
to notice.

DreamIsDead.