[dundee] Automatix & Ubunt

William Cameron bc_dundee at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:14:19 BST 2007

Ah. I see what you're saying now.  Yes I do believe it would be possible.  A quick google search made me aware of this (obvious?) point.http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=334833If you had a spare life time to 'dd' it.I suppose however there maybe OS independant boot CD's for example which may create images/copies.  Maybe not what you were thinking but a quick painless backup none the less.  TAke for example PowerQuest Disk Image.  If you create a boot CD, it runs and partitions any partition regardless of OS, be it windowz or *nix.Anyway, thats my tupence worth. Probably useless, but hey.. what can I say.. I make it up as I go along :-)BillDate: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:49:04 +0100From: toxicnaan at yahoo.co.ukSubject: RE: [dundee] Automatix & UbuntTo: dundee at mailman.lug.org.ukCC: nah, wha tI'm saying is use any backup device, you could for instance write the disk image to dvd, ipod or your own mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/you'll have a complete image of your system, so if it goes tits up, you can just reimage the drive, and start again...you could probably do the same with windows.if you really wanted.Laters,LeeWilliam Cameron <bc_dundee at hotmail.com> wrote:    The theory sounds sound enough, but I believe there are issues with how a system interprets USB Keys/HDD during boot.  Additionally, I remember having issues while booting Gentoo from USB as a "recovery pen" with it accessing the pen during boot, it at points couldn't
 read from it fast enough.  It did eventually boot however, but it stopped what appeard to be randomly stating it couldn't read 'root'.I think that's what's you're meaning?  Image your system to USB, dist-upgrade etc, reboot to USB, if [goes tits up] modify grub.lst to boot HDD again?BillDate: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:16:27 +0100From: toxicnaan at yahoo.co.ukSubject: Re: [dundee] Automatix & UbuntTo: dundee at mailman.lug.org.ukCC: well, bugger me...but question is can you use LVM for root volumes /would be an interesting howto for ubuntu, I just though of another way.connect use storage device (GB)boot a knoppix type distrodd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/usbkey/mybackupreboot into ubuntuapt-get updateapt-get dist-upgradereboot..does it work? yeah!! keep it..total failureboot
 knoppixdd if=/mnt/usbkey/mybackup of=/dev/hdacomments!Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote: On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 00:21:59 +0100, Digit (SG) wrote:> "it a shame you can't check point the file system, and the roll it> all back if it goes tits up."> > u can cant  you?http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshotintro.html_______________________________________________dundee GNU/Linux Users Group mailing listdundee at lists.lug.org.uk  http://dundee.lug.org.ukhttps://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/dundeeChat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk          Yahoo! Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free
account today.