[dundee] iPlayer protest and petiton

Lee Turner lvturner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:35:02 BST 2007

To be honest - it's not even the lack of 'Linux' support that's the issue
(face it, we are a pretty niche market..) it's the fact that the file format
it's self is locked.

Why should we be forced to use DRM by the BBC?

(Also worthy of note - it uses P2P silently, and provides no throttling
options - be nice when you go over your monthly bandwidth allowance and get
capped)

DRM: Digitally Restricted Malevolence

On 03/08/07, Arron M Finnon <afinnon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> some of you may remember from a couple of meetings ago talking about
> iPlayer the new bbc program that is used to play BBC down-loadable
> content.  however it only works on windows, using i.e and media player,
> no release date as yet for when they would make it available for the
> gnu/linux geezers and geezerettes
>
> links as follows
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/fsf_bbc_protest/
>
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/iplayer/