[dundee] Re: Abertay Linux Meeting - 16th August 2007 – Preparation for freshers fair - Important

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:49:52 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 18:47 +0100, James Young wrote:
> Hi Arron,
>
> A couple of things I thought about on the practical side ;
>
> 1)Electrics - Do you have enough 4-gang extension bars to do the job and
> are the leads long enough.

// this is a very good point and some thing to remember so i will be
putting it on my list.

> 2)Do you have enough people to open up on the day and manage it through
> the day. Doing the whole day on the stand by yourself or just with a
> couple of people isn't good news.

// i have had volunteers for this but i do think your right about
getting a rosta set up, however i have a sneaky feeling that i and
attila will need to be on hand all day either way, but i think that
we'll need one person a machine at least.

> 3) What's the earliest time we can get in (before the fair starts - to
> get everything set up).

// this is something that i will start making enquires about ASAP

> 4)Comms; is wireless in the building and will there be enough bandwidth.

// This was always going to be an issue on a number of different fronts,
i.e. mac address filtering is one of the front line security measures
the Abertay use, plus certificates as well so i need to scratch my head
and work it out.  I think that either way there not going to let me
bridge a connection so i think that most of the machines will have to be
offline but this is not to say that they can't be locally networked

> So, I'd get a timetable setup for people to be on the stand, to be on
> break or to allow for contingency. Also, to allow for any left-field
> questions.

// as discussed above, fantastic idea and defo will be implemented, as
with the below non abertay students will be allowed to work on the stall

> How many days does the fair run and can non-abertay people help out?
> Anyway, I'd like to help out if I can.

// Last year it was only for the day

> Also, I think it's hard to expect bi-monthly meetings for the same
> person standing up and preparing the work - Although, it does look, next
> session, like there's going to be more support there which is great
> news.

// It has been difficult to maintain this, and it is a semi concern of
mine, but i do have faith that this situation will be remedied over the
next couple of weeks

> For the HOW TO side of things; I'd like to offer an elementary
> guide to 'Computers, and how they can help YOU!' for anyone interested.
> The target audience for this would be a)someone with standard grade
> experience of computers, b)someone with a geek test score of <=4% or
> below c)girls d)all of the above.

// All i can say about the HOWTO's is that you are a god, and it will be
very much appreciated and you gain 50 gold finux points

> If you okay this I'll do something shortly and email it to you for the
> groups thoughts and general RFC.

// NP

> Best wishes,
>

> James

// once again james thank you for the input it was full if good points
and some great advice - Well done and thanks

--
Arron M Finnon