[dundee] Novell's CEO's lecture

gordon dunlop gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 23:48:54 BST 2007

Hey Attila,
Great work, but I have a bone to pick with "Big Ron" - he owes me a
T-shirt. A year ago Novell sent out a  questionnaire to pre-release SLED
10 (SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop)  testers asking about their opinions
promising that the respondents would get a Novell T-shirt for their
reply. I filled in the details and waited, and waited, and got nothing.
Was it because I slated the bugs in the Zen updater that tried to take
over from the main YaST updater (which was a good system), whereby you
could not update anything. The only way you could get around this was to
install SMART package manager. Even after installation, the GUI would
not work as the Gnome desktop had been amended by Novell to minimize
interference by users (Enterprise Edition). The only way you could
upgrade was by using the command line to upgrade via SMART. So "Big Ron"
you me a T-Shirt, give me it to me and all is forgiven or else I will
get Arron to sort you out. I manage both Fedora and SuSE now via SMART
package manager.

Gordon