[dundee] changing BPP?

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Thu Apr 10 23:58:12 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:39:25 +0100, Tim Spencer wrote:

> I want to change my res to show 8 bpp, now all comments i have read
> want me to change /etc/X11/xorg.conf and simply change the depth to
> 8. that crashed my Xwindow for good.
> any suggestions?

Well, that's how you do it. I haven't ran in 8bpp for many many years.
You could try just running a plain X session, X :0, see if that works,
then start up some clients. It may also be possible to run a xnest or
xephyr session at a different colour depth.

Got some ancient bit of software that needs 8bpp?

Andrew