[dundee] Geeks With too much time on there hands

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:54:06 BST 2008

too much time on our hands?

sounds like a saying from someone who's forgotten, or yet to remember the
eternal nature of our beings and the illusionary nature of time.

there are many cultures in both fiction and our history books in which the
perception of time lends an outcome with similar appearance as infinite
patience.  when you are still considered young, a child, a student after 50
orbits around the sun, spending 5 years on thinking about one picture doesnt
seem as "crazy" as percieved by the impatient short term gains urgency
mentality i'm sure so many of us on this mailing list are familiar with.

in the following video, there is an excellent point made about exploratory
learning and research.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/195 (at least i think that's the
correct video.  cant watch at the moment to check thnx to Nildram doing some
upgrades or something, broadband to crawl speed.)
at most, you might say that the outcomes of this methodology are sometimes
so fickle and unimportant as to have been a waste of time [like previous
examples given] and resources which could have been better spent, and that
to solve this problem, the folks involved could better prioritise... but
then we see, we loose the point of venturing into the unknown for
unpredictable discoveries.  who knows where it all adds up.
... hmmm, i'm also reminded of Asimov's story in which the human race
achieves success in fending off an alien attacker simply by there being too
many miscommunication and basically, we didnt know what we were doing (left
hand not knowing what the right hand is up to), and this unpredictable
nature made us ultimately invincible to the insect minds of the aliens who
could only fight against a perfect opponent... just like in soul calibur (a
game which i have spent over 10,000 hours either playing or watching other
people play), where you can get to such epic heights of battle between two
seasoned players who know each other's game, lasting for hours and hours of
parrys and weapon clashes barely a blow landed, but pit one of them against
a button basher, the senseless illogical irrational use of the "wrong" moves
almost constantly is too much to defend against.

where i am i going with all this?

geeks coming up with novel new ways to do things, or come up with new things
is precisely what we need.   "there's always a better way".

no matter how refined something gets, sometimes the ingenuity of a noob is
the very creative spark required.  sometimes an ancient and reliable piece
of technology just needs a little refinement of someone who spent ages
getting to know it, labour of love so to speak, and knowing the flaws of the
object of your affection.  change and improvement are good, and the change
and improvements which came about by our (human) hands, came about when we
relieved ourselves of previous survival burdens or what may later become
known as inefficiencies.  to my knowledge, this has been true since we first
made the transition from "hunter/gather" to agriculture.  once our food was
no longer what we had to spend all day on, we came up with science and art
and all kinds of new innovations came.

my point....

there is no such thing as having too much time on your hands.

;)

time, like money, like energy....
it's what you do with it that counts.

;)

prioritisation may or may not be essential.

;)

On 11/04/2008, azmodie <azmodie at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ultimate gaming laptop
>

> http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/10/the-ps3-laptop-from-ben-heck-to-engadget-with-love/
>
> azmodie
> --
> Umbrella Corporation :-
> "They are the fear within all of that there is a company. The Corporation
> controlling everything that is Umbrella.
> A combination of Microsoft and the US Military. At some level there is a
> board of directors who meet once a
> month and decide all of our fates."
> -- Jeremy Bolt - Producer - Resident Evil : Apocalypse

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.