[dundee] Choosing a new motherboard

Alan S Frost alan at biziserve.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 19:27:17 GMT 2008

Hi,

Happy New year.

I avidly watch the posts to this forum and thank you for all the hints
and tips I have gleaned over the last year.

I apologise in advance for not having provided much input to the group
but alas my knowledge is still growing in the Linux arena and I don't
feel I have attained a sufficiently strong level to participate effectively.

I wish to build a new Linux development server for my home office.  The
case currently contains  a demised Asrock Upgrade K8 754 motherboard
with an AMD processor. Not sure which component has died - shame really
as it worked quite as a Win2K server. (Sorry didn't want to say that too
loudly in current company).

I wondered if any of you had any recommendations to a good combination
of motherboard & processor to run RH Fedora 7.

The new server will be a combination server and will have to cater for
all capabilities (file, print, database, etc). It will eventually host
2TB of raid 5 storage.

Hope one day to make it over to a Dundee meeting but Crieff is a long
way to travel for just a couple of hours.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan