[dundee] Choosing a new motherboard

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:10:18 GMT 2008

The best server processors at the moment is the dual core from Intel
(I am an AMD fanboy but they cannot hack it at the moment), here are
the components from a computer supplier to give you an idea on prices
and performance (especially on virtulisation processor embedded
instructions):

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSearch=&bolShowAll=true&intStoreID=2&intCatID=22&intSubcatUID=1770&bolShowAll=true

Here are the motherboards to accompany the processors:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?strSearch=&bolShowAll=true&intStoreID=2&intCatID=14&intSubcatUID=658&bolShowAll=true

I cannot give any recommendation you must decide for yourself.

As regards your choice of operating system, i would give Fedora 7 a
miss. Why? I would go for Fedora 8, the difference between the systems
is where Fedora 8 is trying to go truly 64-bit rather then 32-bit. I
recently upgrade my Fedora & to Fedora 8 via an internet install which
was not recommended due to the fact you can end up in RPM dependency
hell due to Fedora transference of 32-bit systems to 64-bit systems
from Fedora 7 to Fedora 8, that is why they recommend a clean install
for Fedora 8. Due to my intimacy with Fedora systems all I done was to
remove the conflicting libraries of the 32-bit applications via the
YUM extender and SMART package manager (I use them in tandem). If you
are really looking for a stable Red Hat system why don't you go for
CentOS 5.1 which is a community distribution of Red Hat Enterprise 5,
it can be downloaded from here:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04626

Talking about attending meetings I hope to do a talk at some time
about using Xen paravirtualisation in Fedora and SuSE Linux servers
where server consolidation can be used whereby running server
services, i.e. multiple websites, can be achieved in separate secure
environments. It is also easy to maintain a back up of these different
services and to have process migration to other servers. I hope this
helps you, it is only my opinion and if anyone can give other helpful
advice then that is fine.

gordon