[dundee] OLPC BBC report

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Fri Jan 18 09:05:58 GMT 2008

-------- Original Message --------

Could it be because it is backed by a billion dollar corporation and not by some charity that could disappear overnight if the donations dry up?

> right, lets get coding some apps for the OLPC platform, maybe that's where
> the difference will lie

Good idea, let's go! Oh wait... the OLPC is hand cranked 'cos the owner may not have electricity in their hut; its peer to peer network capable as there wont be any internet/network connectivity. I'm not sure what software I could write that could move their lives forward, do you? Does anyone? You see, this is what I have against the OLPC idea; I believe there are more important things the money could be spent on that really would make a difference to these people's lives. Corporate America do you want to help the African poor? Good! How about you drop the trade barriers then and make a real difference. OLPC is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Just my tuppence worth :-)

--
Cheers,
Gary