[dundee] (P)Lee: TC again

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 22:18:04 GMT 2008

Hopefully I'll be more help than last time

I've run Qos/Traffic Shaping stuff for about 4/5 years in various
places, had no problems with a variety of users and connection
settings.

I'm guess you've probablu done most of this already but just to be sure

Pulling the cable on each machine and not just the torrent user?
Tried connecting a client directly?
Checked to make sure theres no connection overflow stuff?,
particularly half-open connections
Confirmed it is a client issue and not an ISP or router issue (whether
PC or dedicated)

For quick and dirty tracking, I use the following (you might use this already)

iptables -N traffic_in
iptables -N traffic_out
iptables -I FORWARD 1 -j traffic_in
iptables -I FORWARD 2 -j traffic_out
iptables -A traffic_in -d x.x.x.x (New entry for each IP)
iptables -A traffic_out -s x.x.x.x (New entry for each IP)

iptables -L traffic_in -vn
iptables -L traffic_out -vn

Its gives me a count in size and packets, I usually do a reset then check.

Make sure your not prioritizing ACK or ICMP packets. and beyond that,
how are you classifying packets? IPP2P, L7 or port ranges. I've had
the most success with port ranges.

I think I remember your setup from last time but maybe you could
elaborate for the list again.

Kris