[dundee] gentoo

DreamIsDead dreamisdead0 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 23:05:36 GMT 2008

Do you have a copy of the Gentoo Handbook that you can look at as you
install this?
You can view it online at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
Follow the instructions in that and it's fairly straight forward.

Once you've burned the CD you boot it like any other liveCD, yes.

There are a few different gentoo liveCDs and DVDs available for x86, each of
them gives you different options for installing, but assuming you have a
network connection just follow the handbook through, and ask if you need
something clarified. In general though, the handbook explains things pretty
well.

Some of the liveCDs have a graphical installer - don't use it. I'm not
saying that just to make life difficult, the graphical installer was
intended to save time for people who know how to install gentoo, not to make
it easier the first time you try. It seems to complete some steps, but not
others (without telling which), and generally just causes more problems than
it fixes. More than that, it's very buggy - I've heard quite a lot of
complaints about people who've lost their partition table because of it. So,
avoid it like the plague.