[dundee] OLPC Videos...niiiiiiiiiice!

Rick rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:27:07 GMT 2008

On 20/01/2008, Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:18:43 +0000, Gary Short wrote:
>
> > Okay, now you're talking. I never considered that point. At the end
> > of the day I never critisised the OLPC as a technology, just that
> > there was a better way to achieve that goal. I didn't consider the
> > fact that Negroponte wouldn't have gotten funding for more teachers.
> > Though, I believe if he had tried he would have. Who would argue that
> > laptops are better than teachers? I guess we'll never know.
>
> I don't know where this teachers thing keeps coming from. Of all the
> OLPC stuff I've seen and read, I've never heard anything about teacher
> shortages or such.
>
> I believe the teacher also gets a laptop so they aren't being left out
> in that way.

I think you're misunderstanding the conversation here.  The point
wasn't about a lack of teachers regarding the OLPC project (though
from the wording I can see how you might think that).  The point was
paraphrase) "The millions spent on OLPC would have been better spent
on more teachers/schools etc...".  The impetus behind this is that
yes, developing nations could use more schools and teachers (but then
couldn't we also?)

My point was based on a belief that the OLPC project has unlocked
investment which would not have otherwise been available.  And that
Negroponte, with his MIT and technology background can make a good
case for investment at delivering a $100 laptop, yet would fare less
well raising money for more schools.

I also believe that by approaching developing nations with a cheap
laptop and educational story, you are encouraging further investment
in schooling and education which might not have otherwise occurred...
Though there is a risk that you are diverting resources away from
where they are really needed.

> There is a lot of FUD about the OLPC laptop, seemingly from Microsoft
> and Bill Gates specifically. After seeing his latest rant on the topic,
> it's clear he doesn't get it.

This may well be true, and the conflict of interest caused by Intel
being on their board (until recently) certainly hasn't helped.  But I
don't see any FUD here, more just a valid point suggesting that the
money might be better spent in more traditional ways.

--
Rick Moynihan
rick.moynihan at gmail.com
http://sourcesmouth.co.uk/blog/