[dundee] OLPC Videos...niiiiiiiiiice!

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:31:23 GMT 2008

Quote;

Wow! Where did you get that definition from?.

It's the licence which determines what you can do with the software.

"Open Source" was basically coined as a more business freindly term
than "Free Software". RMS may say differently, but the terms are
generally interchangeable.

Andrew

end quote;

I can tell you from personal experience with talking to RMS he defo doesn't see the distinction at all,
and would be more happier if we called the society The GNU/Linux society. As apparently we are not paying enough respect to FSF.

As many of you know from the talks i have done, i'm a passionate person about free software

However i don't think he was too happy with the let's call it the Linux/GNU society.

With regards to the Open Source Vs Free Software, this is a debate that will go on for ever.

I personally think that the free software aspect, is an ideal and the open source is a practical working day sort of thing.

I'm ultimately sure we all agree that there is a difference but only to the most avid of users.

The purist that resides in me from time to time prefers free software but making my computer work is the most important to me.

It's one thing to say my machine runs 99.9 % free software, but it means sweat fanny adams if your machine has no functionality.

The term open source enables business people and cooperate decision makers a chance to understand what in fairness is a complex eco system.

It's software guys (and girls) that find software interesting and passionate, where accountants generally don't,
however i don't get excited by tax loop holes either so i can understand their point.  But this maybe where i'm going wrong

I know that from time to time i sound a wee bit naive about this stuff, but it's my naivety that i think helps me.

Free as in a free finux signing off.