[dundee] Re: slax

John¹ seago.john at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 30 15:35:45 BST 2008

On Monday 30 June 2008 Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with Slax? Or knows what might be causing
> this?

I'll deal with the second question first, no I'm afraid that I don't know what
might be the cause.

As to the first part of your question I have had some small experience with
Slax, ( I have been a Slackware user since Windows 95 crashed on me just once
too often, Slackware 7 I seem to recall), it always seems to take a long time
to boot to the point where one can log in and use it. (A test shows at least
two and a half minutes on my machine (Intel Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz). When I
bought my daughter a Laptop without an OS recently, I used Slax to see if the
hardware all worked with GNU/Linux, and it seemed to take forever on that, at
least 5 to six minutes. Have you tried any other 'live' Distro's, are they any
quicker? It could be that Slax is just slow in loading, if you are prepared to
run comparative tests it may be useful to run some of the smaller live CD
versions in the 200 Mb range for comparison.

Does it really matter if it works? Sorry not to be of anymore help.

--
John Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566 http://counter.li.org/