[dundee] Re: slax

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 30 21:29:38 BST 2008

oh yeah, now that u mention it, i remember some developer talk a while back
saying something along the lines that LZMA was slower compressing, but
faster uncompressing....  so, if thats true, and assuming u are using the
new slax, it should at least be faster booting than slax before version 6.

2008/6/30 Nistur <nistur at googlemail.com>:

> That's actually a good point. Slax uses SquashFS+LZMA for it's "modules"...
> however I still don't see how that necessarily slows udevtrigger down. I
> have noticed that the "copy2ram" option has made it significantly quicker.
> I'll just keep on fiddling :D So far I have it booting from grub (rather
> than syslinux or lilo) and almost have it autologging fluxbox on init 4.
> With regards to checking the MD5Sum, I haven't, but it's also not an iso,
> and the tarball unrolled without errors.
>

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Digit (SG) <digit.siljrath at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> i'll bet the compression has a bit part to play in this slowness.

>>> I'll deal with the second question first, no I'm afraid that I don't know
>>> what
>>> might be the cause.
>>>
>>> As to the first part of your question I have had some small experience
>>> with
>>> Slax, ( I have been a Slackware user since Windows 95 crashed on me just