[dundee] having a conversation with your OS

Tim Spencer samurai.mit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 23:46:57 GMT 2008

Yeah since i am dyslexic my father has bought several voice recognition
programs (although i used them in German) over the years and i have failed
them all (fond childhood memories of me and my friends sitting in front of
the pc and talking and seeing what garbage it would produce, at the time
this was very very amusing) my dad who has a grave english accent when using
the german language never quite managed to get it to work for him in german,
but, if i remember he managed to get it to work for english (with german
text.  lol) This was when they first started to appear in the market in the
90s and one had to spend some 12 hours trying to make it recognize ur words.

since then i have given up on these tools and rely on my typing (which
thanks to google spell checker and firefox extensions has not been soooo
bad) I remember trying to search for stuff in the web with the search
strings being spelled terrible wrong and me not realizing for 30 minutes and
getting very very frustrated.

just thought i would share my deep rooted frustrations.