[dundee] having a conversation with your OS

Paul Lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 23:56:35 GMT 2008

Tim Spencer wrote:
> Yeah since i am dyslexic my father has bought several voice
> recognition programs (although i used them in German) over the years
> and i have failed them all (fond childhood memories of me and my
> friends sitting in front of the pc and talking and seeing what garbage
> it would produce, at the time this was very very amusing) my dad who
> has a grave english accent when using the german language never quite
> managed to get it to work for him in german, but, if i remember he
> managed to get it to work for english (with german text.  lol) This
> was when they first started to appear in the market in the 90s and one
> had to spend some 12 hours trying to make it recognize ur words.
>
> since then i have given up on these tools and rely on my typing (which
> thanks to google spell checker and firefox extensions has not been
> soooo bad) I remember trying to search for stuff in the web with the
> search strings being spelled terrible wrong and me not realizing for
> 30 minutes and getting very very frustrated.

When my brother was at school, i remember him having rather heated
discussions with his teachers about how useless a dictionary is. Its
only useful if you can spell the word in the first place.
Like you Adam, has learned to use spell checkers, and fortunately for
him, a scribe so that he can put text to paper. Unfortunately adv higher
in physics and maths tend to strain the scribes abilities.

Paul