[dundee] Installing a Free WIFI Hotspot at the DCA

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Fri May 2 22:51:51 BST 2008

I've tested/used what you've mentioned and more, I prefer the WRT with
the Tomato firmware.

Firmware wise:

DD-WRT is a bit bloated for my liking and doesn't handle multiple
concurrent connections well; its to do with conntrack and route
hashing.
OpenWRT its okay if you need to play around, its more for a hobbyist.
It might be good to use but getting a robust working solution could
take a while.

Hardware wise:

The Linksys NSLU2 is good, I've used it as a download box etc in the
past and had stock Debian on it at one point; I'm not sure if its the
best choice for a router/access point however.
Asus WL-500g I just plain don't like it.

Anyway these technical arguments may be mute, need to see if the LUGs
up for doing it first etc.

Kris