[dundee] Taylug weekly articles 21 - DCA

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat May 3 11:58:24 BST 2008

Hi All,
This week the theme was easy to choose, DCA (Dundee Contemporary
Arts). As you know, Magnus and Arron gave a talk about hacking
culture, Linux and open source. The audience was a mixture of Linux
and non-Linux people, it would be interesting to know what the
non-Linux people thought of the talk. It is nice to see talks being
given to people outwith the Linux community and letting them know that
there are alternatives to proprietary software, some people think that
Linux is a type of washing machine. It was also interesting to read
Rick Moynihan's post about the DCA looking for an open source solution
regarding wireless internet access and the subsequent replies and
suggestions. My personal view is that the more we interact with people
within the local community the greater the potential for getting the
Linux and open source message across.

D – Distro's & Linux:
An interview with the new Debian project leader.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=741

Mark Shuttleworth's blog on the release of Hardy Heron.
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/147

A guy talking about Sun and Red Hat.
http://connollyshaun.blogspot.com/2008/04/open-source-big-dog-red-hat-or-sun.html

The use of Linux in some of the businesses and organisations around the world.
http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=409

Andrew Morton at the Embedded Linux Conference.
http://lwn.net/Articles/278647/

An article on scripting by Aaron Seigo, the KDE guy.
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-scripting.html

KDE in Korea by the previous TayLUG administrator, Jonathan Riddle.
http://dot.kde.org/1209422140/

An article on the Xfce desktop.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/04/28/flipping-the-linux-switch-xfce-the-hidden-gem-of-desktop-envir/

What is going to happen now to the Reiser file system now that Hans is
serving time.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8647

A CD/DVD install where there is no CD/DVD drive?
http://azerthoth.blogspot.com/2008/04/want-to-install-dvd-release-of-linux.html

Linux is not just for guys.
http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/girls-love-linux.html

Mystic Meg of the Linux world.

Big Blue now to be Big Green?
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/interview-ibms-inna-kuznetsova-big-green-linux

This for Grand Prix fans.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/192522/linux-and-formula-one.html

C – Community & open source:
An interview with Donald Knuth who released TeX.
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1193856

An open source tool for Linux server provisioning.
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1311099,00.html

Digitising books for Google, does anyone fancy doing this job?
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/25/google.books.ap/index.html

Installing and configuring Django.
http://mydjangoblog.com/2008/04/24/deploying-and-tuning-django/

Open source management in the Data Center.
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/042408-opensource-management.html

Harvard discussing open source.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/mini-review-open-source-emharvard-business-reviewem

A hacker was hired by a company to do things that was maybe illegal?
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true

A - Applications & hardware:
Tinkering with Firefox settings.
http://www.linux.com/feature/132560

For all the Twitter fans out there.
http://www.linux.com/feature/133001

Interview with Ekiga developers.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/interview_with_ekiga_developers

The use of Bisect in Git.
http://lwn.net/Articles/277872/

Magnatune and Linux music players.
http://blogs.magnatune.com/buckman/2008/04/giving-money-to.html

Will we see an Intel-Cray Linux supercomputing monster.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080429-in-depth-intel-cpus-gpus-and-upcoming-cray-supercomputers.html

A review of the Chumby.

Finally, I want to mention the best part of the DCA complex (according
to me) and that is the restaurant, my wife and I regularly lunch there
so try it out.

Gordon
TayLUG Administrator