[dundee] gentoo for beginners

jonny at vulcan25.org jonny at vulcan25.org
Thu May 29 15:33:24 BST 2008

>                How much space should I designate for all
>                gentoo partitions ?

Really depends on the system, what it's going to be doing, the size of the
drives available.

Generally speaking, here's what I have for my Gentoo system:

/dev/hda6             2.7G  833M  1.8G  33% /
/dev/hda2             3.8G  2.3G  1.5G  61% /usr
/dev/hda3             1.9G  1.4G  369M  80% /var
/dev/hdc4              23G   22G  227M  99% /home

That's a machine that's been running as a server for a while without
really being watched.  Note that my /home partition is on a separate disc,
so that's really down to you.

Generally I'd say:
2   GB for /
4-6 GB for /usr
2-5 GB for /var (I've found this can fill up rather quick)

Not to forget /boot which should be on a separate partion, this can be in
the regions of 16MB.

Go by the Gentoo Handbook for more general advice on this, it's a while
since I've installed.

Anyone please feel free to build on this.